Back again with much less intense things to talk about than last night.
Like, you know, french fries.
And homemade ketchup.
Because some sportsing is happening tomorrow, we've already addressed that you should make some snacks. I'd been itching to make my own ketchup again ever since I took a Condiment Making class at the BCAE last Spring. This recipe is pretty simple, comprised of things you may just have handy already. The fries themselves are super simple and turn out pretty perfect-- that lovely combination of crispy outside and tender potato inside. The secret is soaking them, thoroughly drying them, and frying them--twice. These stay nice and warm in a oven set to 220 or so while you wait for your game day guests to arrive. And the ketchup keeps for a week or two in the fridge--and tastes good on just about everything.
So. Whip this up tomorrow.
Homemade Chipotle Ketchup
Makes ~12 oz
What it's Made of:
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 small red chilies, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (or half ACV and half red wine vinegar)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
How it's Made:
- In a medium, nonreactive sauce pan, heat vegetable oil over medium flame
- Add shallot, garlic and chilies, and saute until soft, about 5 mins
- Add all spices and stir for an additional 2 mins
- Pour in tomatoes, tomato paste, adobo sauce and vinegar, stir to combine and cook for about 3 more minutes
- Add water, stir and drop in cinnamon stick
- Simmer over low flame for two hours
- Remove from heat, pull out cinnamon stick, allow to cool a bit and transfer to a blender (or use an immersion wand) and blend until smooth
- Serve with yukon gold fries!
Yukon Gold French Fries
What they're Made of:
- 8 yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/4" strips
- 8 or so cups vegetable oil
- Soak sliced potatoes in cold water with salt for about 30 mins
- Drain and dry potatoes thoroughly
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep fryer or large dutch oven to 365
- Working in batches, drop potato stips into hot oil and fry for 7 mins
- Remove from oil, drain on paper towels
- Repeat frying, this time for five minutes, until all potatoes have been fried twice
- Drain on paper towels and serve immediately or transfer to a 220 degree oven to keep warm, if necessary